Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lesson 7: Shopping and Sightseeing

Part 1: Finding a Shopping Centre

If you’re travelling to another country, you might want to ask the tourist centre or people about different shopping centres that are available:

· Where is the nearest shopping centre?
· Where is the main shopping centre?
· Where can I go shopping here?
- It’s on ___________________street.
- It’s at _______________________.
· Can you recommend a place to buy ________________?
· Where can I buy _________________?
· Is there a store near here that sells __________________?
- I know ______________________on/at
_______________.
- Try ______________________.
· Is it far from here?
· How do I get there?
- You can go by taxi/ bus/ subway/ foot, etc.
· What time do the stores open?
- They open at __________________.
· When do they close?
- They close at __________________.


Asking for Recommendations:

Sometimes when you are visiting another country and you don’t know the what kind of souvenirs to buy for your co-workers, boss, or your family members, it would be best to ask for recommendations:


· What can I get for my ____________________?
· What would be a good present for ____________________?
- How about _____________________?


Listening activity: Listen and answer the followings:

1. What was Lydia looking for in the souvenir store?

2. What did the clerk recommend to Lydia as a gift for a young woman?

3. What did Lydia buy in the end?


I was vacationing in Miami, Florida, and I went into a souvenir store to get some gifts for friends back home.

Lydia: Could you show me where the T-shirts are?

Clerk: Sure, they’re on the left, along the wall. Can I help you find something?

Lydia: I’d like to get a T-shirt, but I’m not sure about the size. It’s for a friend who is about your size.

Clerk: Well, in that case, you'll need a large . I only have these in medium or small, but I have these two in size large.

Lydia: Do you have anything in another color or another style?

Clerk: How about this one?

Lydia: That’s great. Could you also recommend a gift for a young woman?

Clerk: We have a lot of locally-made items. I don’t think you want a mug, a key chain, or a snow globe. But, how about some jewelry?

Lydia: Oh, this bracelet is nice. How much is it?

Clerk: It’s on sale for $36.

Lydia: Okay. I’ll take the T-shirt and the bracelet. Do you have a box for the bracelet?

Clerk: Sure, no problem. That will be $59.60 with tax.

Lydia: There you go.

Clerk: Here’s your change. Thanks for coming in!


Sample Dialogue:

Person 1: Is there a store near here that sells _____________________.

Person 2: What sort of things are you looking for?

Person 1: I don't know really. What do you think would be a good present for ______________?

Person 2: What kind of thing does he like?

Person 1: Oh, ______________, things like that.

Person 2: OK. How about _________________________.

Person 1: That sounds great. Where can I get that?

Person 2: Well, there is a shopping mall near here. We can take a look there.


Part 2: At the Shopping Centre

· Where's the ________________department?
· Excuse me, could you help me?
· (How can I you? / May I help you? / Are you looking for
something? / Are you looking for anything in particular?)
- No, thanks. I’m just looking around.
- No, thank you. I’m just looking.
- Yes, I would like to buy ________________.
- Yes, please. Could you show me some
__________________?
- Yes, I’m looking for _______________for
___________________.
- Yes, do you sell _____________________?
- I want something to wear for ____________________.
- I need something to match _____________________.
- Can you show me some others?
- Do you have any ____________________?

Things you can put in there: clothes, a bag, a dress, a suit, a pair of pant, a watch, a pair of earrings, necklace, a pair of shoes, a scarf, a camera (equipments), a computer (equipments), a game, sport equipments, toys, china, glassware, tea, candies, a present, a souvenir, handcrafts etc.


You can also point out your preferences:

· It is not quite what I want.
· I don’t want anything too expensive.
· I don’t want to spend a lot.
· I prefer something __________________.
· Do you have anything _______________________.
· Can you show me something ______________________?

Words you can use here: expensive, cheaper (less expersive), of better quality, better, bigger, smaller, in different colours, etc.


Finding your Sizes:

If you’re buying clothes or shoes and is looking for a particular size, you may want to say the followings:

· I’m afraid it’s too big/small for me?
· (What size are you looking for?)
· (What’s your size?)
· (What colour would you like?)
- I would like __________________________. (small,
medium, large, a size __________, red, blue, green, etc.)
- I wear size ______________________________.
- I don't know my size.
· Do you have something bigger/ smaller?
· Do you think it fits me?
· I would like the same in smaller/bigger size.
· I would like the same in another colour.


Trying on Something:

If you’re buying clothes or shoes, you may want to ask the salesperson if you can try it on:

· Can I try it/these on?
· Where can I try this on?
· Where is the dressing room/ fitting rooms?


Others questions that you might want to ask:

· Is it real _______________?
· Is it pure _______________?
· Is this hand-made?
· What kind of fur is it?
· Where was it made?
· Does it come with a warranty?



Part 3: How would you like to pay?

· I will take it.
· How much is this/ are these?
· How much does it cost?
· Where can I pay?/ Where is the cashier stand?
· (How would you like to pay?)
· Do you accept/ take credit cards? (Traveler’s checks)
- (Certainly)
- (I’m afraid not.)
- (I’m sorry. Cash only.)
· I will pay by ____________________.
· Could you give me the receipt please?
· I think there is a mistake in the receipt.
· Could you wrap it up for me please?


If you like an exchange or return:

· I bought this ______________here ______________ and it
was ______________________. (words you can use: broken,
torn, not working properly, etc.)
· I would like to replace it please.
· Can you exchange this please?
· I would like to return it please.
· I would like a refund.
· I would like my money back please.
· Here is the receipt.


Listening Activity: Listen and answer the followings:

1. Which cards did Peter try?

2. Why couldn't Peter write a check?

3. In the end, what did Peter decide to pay with?


I was at the store, and when the clerk finished ringing me up, I had a few problems.

Clerk: Your total comes to $79.42.

Peter: Do you take credit cards?

Clerk: Yes, we take Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.

Peter: Here’s my Visa.

Clerk: Hmm…I’m sorry but your card has been declined.

Peter: Oh, I can’t imagine why. I’m sure it’s just a mistake. Here, use my MasterCard.

Clerk: Well, sir, it looks like this one is overdrawn, too. Do you have a debit card or cash? We also accept personal checks.

Peter: Like I said, I think it must be bank error. Yeah, I have a debit card, but I think there’s a fee for using it, right?

Clerk: Yes, I think the bank charges you a small fee.

Peter: In that case, I’ll write a check. Oh no, I forgot my checkbook at home. Can you hold these items for me? I can run to an ATM to get some cash. I’ll come right back.

Clerk: Sure. I can hold it for you until the end of the day.

Peter: Okay, great. I’ll be right back.



Sample Dialogue:

Salesperson: May I help you?

Shopper: Yes, please. I’m looking for a _______________.

Salesperson: What size would you like?

Shopper: ____________________, please.

Salesperson: We have this style.

Shopper: Very nice. But do you have _____________________.

Salesperson: Certainly, here you are.

Shopper: Fine, I will take it.

Salesperson: How would you like to pay?

Shopper: ____________________.

Salesperson: Yes. Would you come this way, please?



Part 4: Taking a Tour

Sometimes during your vacation, you might want to join the local tour or some other tours, the following might you:

· What time does the tour start?
- (It starts at _________________.)
· What time does the tour end?
- (It ends at __________________.)
· How long is the tour?
- (It lasts ______________, from _________to
______________.)
· Where does the tour start?
· Where is the point of departure?
- (At ___________________.)
· Will the bus pick us up/ drop us off at our hotel?
· Does it go to the ______________________?
· Will it stop at the ______________________?
· How long do we have there?
- (About _____________.)
- (Please be back on the bus at __________________.)
· When will we stop for lunch/ dinner?
· Is lunch/ dinner included in the price?
· Does the tour include he entry fee?

If you want to go touring by yourself, you can use the followings:

· Where is the nearest tourist information centre?
· Do you have a local map?
· What are the main points of interest?
· What do you suggest I should see?
· I’m interested in ____________________.
· Can you recommend a sightseeing tour?
· How much does the tour cost?
· How do I get to ________________________?
· How far is it to ______________________.
· Is it far from here?
· How much is the entrance fee?
· Is it all right to take pictures?
· Could you take a photograph of me?
· What’s that building/ monument?


Role Play:

Finding a shopping centre
At the shopping mall


Idioms of Lesson 7:

Cost an arm and a leg

Top dollar

Sell like hotcakes

Work out

To buy (some) time

No comments: