Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lesson 12: Telephone Conversation Continue

Part 1: Leaving a voice message

Leaving a voice message is similar to leaving a message to the secretary or receptionist. The only difference is that there is nobody to answer your call, and there is nobody there to repeat your message to make sure that the message you gave is correct.

Therefore, it is important to prepare prior you are making a phone call.

Make sure that you have these handy in front of you:

· Your telephone number (your contact information)
· Your planner (schedule, especially information when making
appointment)
· Information about the person that you are about to call
· Pens or pencil
· Memo pad /plain white paper
· Other important information


A voice mail also contains the followings:

· Greetings
· Your name
· Your company
· Your request (purpose of the call)
· Your contact information
· A polite close

An example:

Hello, Mr. Johnson. This is Peter Smith calling from LiverTech about scheduling a meeting with you about sales. (You can also say: I want to arrange/schedule an appointment with you about sales). You can reach me anytime today in my office until 6 or tomorrow between 10 to 4pm. My phone number is 669-5429 (repeat 669-5429). I look forward to talking to you soon (Please return my call as soon as possible). Thank you. Bye.

Important point: Try to speak slowly in order for the person can catch the information correctly.

Sample Dialogue:

You want to make an appointment with Ms. Jessica Peterson on discussing about a possible business partnership. However, Mr. Peterson is unavailable and you are transferred to his voice mail. Your phone number is 365-7892.

Your task is to leave a voice mail message for Ms. Peterson.

Voice mail/answering machine: Hello, this is Jessica Peterson from Pacific Rim trading company. I am not available at the moment. Please leave a message after the beep (tone). I will return your call as soon as possible. Beep:











Part 2: Making an appointment

When making an appointment, we should always include the four steps of a telephone call: greetings, your name, your company, and your purpose.

In this case, your purpose is to make an appointment to see someone.

· I would like to make an appointment to see
_________________________.
· I would like to arrange an appointment (a meeting) with
_________________________.

Doesn't matter, you can use either one:

Appointment or meeting
Make an appointment /arrange an appointment
To see or with

Note: You can only arrange a meeting

After you have state your purpose, you will need to arrange a meeting or an appointment's schedule.

· When will _________________be available?
· Would ___________________be convenient?
· Are you free on ____________at_______________?
· What is the best time to meet _____________________?
· Can I see _________________on
_________________at_______?
- When do you want the meeting to be on?
- When do you want to see _________________?
- What time would suit you/ be convenient for you?
- When would suit you/ be convenient for you?
- How about _____________________?
- Sure.
- Yes, I can manage the __________.
- Yes, that suits me.
- Yes, I am free.
- Yes, that's fine.
- I'm sorry but ______________is unavailable at that time.
- I'm afraid I cannot make it/manage it.
- I'm afraid I'm tied up.
- Will you select another date/time?
- Would you like to fix another time?

Confirmation:

· I will look forward to seeing you on _____________________,
then.
· See you on _______________________, then.



Sample Dialogue:

You want to make an appointment to see Ms. Katie Carol discussing about a possible business partnership on Monday, March 10th at 11:00. However, Ms. Carol is unavailable at that time, and you will need to select a new time which is Wednesday the 12th at 11:00.

Secretary: Hello, Pacific Rim trading. How may I help you?
Caller:




Secretary: I am afraid that Ms. Carol is tied up on that day. Would you like to fix another time?
Caller:




Secretary: Sure. So, _________________, your meeting with ___________________will be on Wednesday March 12th at 11:00. Am I correct?
Caller:


Secretary: O.K. I will look forward to seeing you on March 12th, then.
Is there anything else I can help you with?
Caller:


Secretary: Good Bye, _________________. Thanks for calling.


Part 3: Letters- request for appointment

Carrington’s
38 E. 91st St. • Chicago, IL 60614

January 25, 2006

Linda Montgomery, Manager
A-1 Cleaners
2903 Burresh St.
Lincoln, NE 68506


Dear Ms. Montgomery:

I will be in Lincoln on February 3 and would like to meet with
you at your office to discuss cleaning supplies you may need in
the second half of the year.
I have enclosed our latest catalog. Please note the items in
yellow highlight. They are special values or new products that
A-1 Cleaners will want to take advantage of now.

I will contact you later this week to schedule an appointment.
If you need to get in touch with me, call me at 800-555-9047. I
look forward to talking with you. Thank you for your
continued business.


Sincerely yours,

Signature

Douglas James
Sales Representative


DNJ:llr
Enc.

P.S. See page 68 of our catalog for a great value on our
most-ordered product choice!


Role Play:
Leaving a voice mail
Making an appointment

Idiom of Lesson 12:
Right-hand man
Dead-end job
Stab someone in the back
Buckle down

1 comment:

Anna Różańska said...

1. This bit is confusing (as it is self-contradictory):

Appointment or meeting
Make an appointment /arrange an appointment
To see or with

Note: You can only arrange a meeting

2. And here a typo (missing "d") evolved into a grammar mistake (wrong verb form):
After you have state your purpose...

Please be extra careful when writing for English learners!