Saturday, February 9, 2008

Lesson 10: Telephone Conversation

Part 1: Introduction

· Hello, ________________________.
· ______________________, good morning/good afternoon.
· ____________________________.

Part 2: Identifying who is Speaking

· This is ____________________.
· This is ________________from__________________.
· ____________________speaking.
· Is that _____________________?

Part 3: Saying who you want to speak to

· Could I speak to ________________,please?
· Can I speak to __________________,please?
· May I speak to _________________,please?
· I would like to speak to _____________________,please.
· Extension _______________,please.
· ______________________,please.
- Who is calling please?
- Who should/shall I say is calling?
- I’ll see if he/she’s in.
- I’ve got ___________________on the phone for you.


If that person is available:

· Please hold.
· Hold on. I’ll get ___________.
· Hold on. I’ll connect you.
· Hold on. I’ll put you through (the line).
· Hang on a moment.
· Just a moment, please.

If that person is not available for the moment:

· Can you wait? _____________is talking on the phone.
· Will you hold?
· I’m sorry, but he/she’s no available for the moment.
· I’m afraid he/she’s on the other line.
· I’m afraid he/she’s in ______________________.
· I’m afraid he/she’s on holiday/ vacation.
· I’m afraid he/she’s in a meeting.
· I’m afraid he/she’s off sick.
· Can you call back ____________________?

Your response:

· I’ll hold.
· I’ll call back later.
· What is the best time to call back?
· Could you take a message?
· Could you give him/her a message?
· Can you put me through to his/her secretary?


Listening samples…..

Michelle: Hello, you've reached the marketing department. How can I help?

Male: Yes can I speak to Rosalind Wilson, please?

Michelle: Who’s calling please?

Male: It’s Richard Davies here

Michelle: Certainly. Please hold and I’ll put you through.

Male: Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michelle: Hello, marketing. How can I help?

Male: Could I speak to Jason Roberts please?

Michelle: Certainly. Who shall I say is calling?

Male: My name’s Mike Andrews.

Michelle: Just a second - I’ll see if he’s in. Hello, Jason, I’ve got Mike Andrews on the phone for you ... OK - I’ll put him through. Hang on a moment, I’m just putting you through.


Listening Activity: Listen and answer the following:

1. To whom did Thomas want to speak to?

2. What is the subject of the meeting?

3. Why can’t Ms. Kennedy have a meeting with Thomas?

I have been trying to get a meeting with the CEO of Medofact to talk about a partnership between our company and theirs. But I've had a hard time trying to get through on the phone.

First, there was the phone tree. I had to go through three menus before I got the option to speak to an operator. Even after I got through, I got the run around from the receptionist.

Receptionist: Medofact Limited. How may I direct your call?

Thomas: I would like to speak to Maureen Kennedy.

Receptionist: Please hold while I connect you with Ms. Kennedy's office. (Pause)

Secretary: Maureen Kennedy's office. How may I help you?

Thomas: Good afternoon. I am Thomas Guarini calling from Livatect. I would like to set up a meeting with Ms. Kennedy.

Secretary: Will Ms Kennedy know the subject of the meeting?

Thomas: Well, I would like to speak to her about a possible partnership.

Secretary: May I put you on hold for one moment?

Thomas: Yes, certainly. (I was on hold for a long time.)

Secretary: Mr. Guarini, I'm afraid Ms. Kennedy is traveling on business the next two weeks. Would you like to call back?

Thomas: Sure, I'll check back in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your help.

Secretary: It's my pleasure. Have a nice day.

Thomas: Thanks. You, too.

I guess I'll keep trying.


Sample Dialogue:

Reception: Green Technology. Good morning, how may I help you?

Person:

Reception: Just a moment, please. Oh, Mr. ______________, I afraid he’s in a meeting right now. Can you call back a little later?

Person:

Reception: Around 2:00.

Person:


Part 4: Taking a Message

· Can I take a message?
· Would you like to leave a message?
- Yes, please.
- No, it’s OK. I’ll call back later.
· Who should I say the message is from?
· Could you spell that, please?
· What company are you from?
· What number are you calling from?
- I’m calling from _________________. My number is
____________________.
· What’s the message?
· Would you repeat that, please?


Part 5: Introduction to business letters

A business letter should contain the followings:

· Letterhead or heading
· Date
· File number (optional)
· Confidential (optional)
· Inside address
· Attention line (optional)
· Salutation (optional)
· Subject line (optional)
· Body of the letter
· Complimentary close (optional)
· Signature
· Additional information (optional)
· Postscript (optional)
· Mailing instruction (optional)

Sample Letter:

Italics Unlimited
231 W. 40th Street • Camden, NJ 08618 • (623) 555-2678


August 10, 20XX

XXX

Terry Lancaster
Capital Supply
657 Minden Ct.
Des Moines, Iowa 54687

Attention: President of Capital Supply

Dear Mr. Lancaster:

Subject: XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX

Sincerely,

Signature


Joan McAllister

JFM:eer

P.S.XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX


Role Play:

Telephone Connecting


Idioms of Lesson 10:

Come down in price

In black and white

Knock down the price of (something)

Line of products




1 comment:

Sonja said...

These posts are really great. Do you have any audio clips that go along with them (i.e. a telephone conversation)?