Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lesson 9: Introduction to Business English-Reception

Part 1: Intro to Business

Business conversations are a lot like any other kind of conversation, except that the language is more formal, and the polite topics are business and professional rather than personal and social. Usually, the purpose is to get acquainted with lots of people, exchanging pleasantries and facts with many people, never monopolizing another person's time for the whole event.

Basic social conversation rules:

· Keep it short; keep the conversation moving. Limit responses to 60 seconds or less.
· Avoid opinion and emotion-evoking topics such as money, politics & religion.
· Do not interrupt.
· Do not finish other people’s statements.
· If someone does or says something rude, ignore it.
· Do not complain.
· Do not criticize others. Say nothing evil about common acquaintances, former bosses or coworkers.
· Address a new acquaintance by his or her title and last name until you are invited specifically to use a first name.

The Top Five most common topics of conversation, in order:

· Current events-- Subscribe to and READ a business publication to have something to say.
· Sports-- Even if you don't like sports, know what season it is and the names of the home town teams.
· The event or job at hand-- If you show up at any event, you need to know who sponsored it and why!
· The organization sponsoring the event-- For newbies, asking others about the organization is a great conversation starter.
· Personal demographics-- Where did you go to school, where do you live, how many kids do you have......

Conversation Timing Rules:

· At breakfast, business conversation can begin as soon as the coffee is poured.
· At lunch, make small talk until orders have been taken. Then you can talk business.
· At dinner, wait for the host to bring business into the conversation.

And remember eye-contact….very important

Part 2: At the Reception Desk

· Good morning/ good afternoon. Can I help you?
· How may I help you?
- I’m _________________.
- I’m here to see ______________________.
- I have an appointment at ___________.
- I have an appointment with _____________________.
- I have a meeting/ appointment with
_______________at____________.
- Could you tell me how do I get room _______________?
· What time is your appointment?
- It’s _______________.
· Who is your appointment with?
- _________________________,
______________________.
· Where is your appointment?
- It’s in ____________________.
· Where is _____________________, please?
- It’s on _______________________.
· Can you direct me to __________________, please?
- Yes, ___________________________________.


Listening Activity: Listen and answer the followings:

1. What time is Juri’s appointment and who is he meeting?
2. Why can’t Sue Gibbons come down and meet Juri?
3. What questions did he ask in order to get some information (get a scoop) about the company before the meeting?

I arrived a little early for my sales appointment with the office manager of Lyon Industries, and spoke to the receptionist.

Juri: Hello. I’m here for my 11:30 appointment with Sue Gibbons.

Receptionist: What is your name?

Juri: It’s Juri Lakoff.

Receptionist: I’ll let her know that you’re here. [Speaking into the telephone] Sue, this is Rhonda. Your 11:30 appointment is here. Should I send him up? Okay, I’ll do that. [Hangs up the telephone] Ms. Gibbons says that she’s running a little late and is tied up in another meeting right now. She should be wrapping things up very quickly and will be free in a few minutes. Would you like to wait in the reception area right over there?

Juri: Sure. No problem.

Receptionist: Can I get you something? Coffee or tea?

Juri: No, I’m fine. I was just wondering how many employees you have in this office.

Receptionist: I don’t know precisely, but I think we have about 80.

Juri: Oh, that’s a lot. Is the company planning on expanding?

Receptionist: I’m sorry, but I really don’t know. I’m sure Ms. Gibbons can answer those questions for you.

Juri: Right, right. I didn’t mean to pump you for information. I was just trying to get the inside scoop on the company before my meeting.

Receptionist: I understand. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to answer this call. Ms. Gibbons should be finished with her other meeting in no time.

Juri: Oh, sure. I didn’t mean to keep you. Sorry.


Video Activity: Watch and answer the followings:

1. Who is Edward here to see?
2. Who came out to greet Edward?


Sample Dialogue:

Person: Excuse me. I have an appointment with Mr. Smith at _______.

Reception: Oh yes. Mr. _____________. Let me call the marketing
department. Oh, Mr. _______________, I have called the department twice. But I’m afraid there was no answer.

Person: I know they are expecting me. Can you direct me to the department?

Reception: Yes, it’s on the fifth floor. You can take the elevator.

Person: Yes, and then?

Reception: As you come out of the elevator, you __________________________________________.

Person: I see. I’ve got that.

Reception: It’s on the left.

Person: Thank You.



Part 3: Introduction People

· What's your name?
- My name is________________.
- I am_______________________.
· Haven't we met (before)?
- Yes, I think we have.
- No, I don't think we have.
- I think we've already met.
- I don't think we've met (before).
· Can I introduce you to _________________?
· This is ____________________.
· Meet _____________________.
· Have you met____________________?
- Yes, I have.
- No, I haven't.
- Yes, I think I have.
- No, I don't think I have.
· Hello, _____________________.
· Nice to meet you. (informal)
· Pleased to meet you.
· How do you do? (formal)
· Nice to see you.
· Nice to see you again.

Part 4: Asking and Giving Business Cards

By exchanging business cards, you can get the contact information of that person….

· Do you have a business card?
· Could I have one of your business cards?
· Can I have your business card?
- Sure
- No, problem
- I’m sorry. I don’t have them with me right now. Can I give it to
you later/ next time?
· Can I get your phone number or email address?
· Can I have your contact information?
· What is the best way to contact you?
· What is the best time to contact you?
· Let me give you one of my business cards.
· My contact information is on my business card. Let me give you one.
· You can reach me by calling the number on the business card.
· My email address is on the business card.


Exercise: Look at the business cards and answer the following questions:

1. What’s he or her names?

2. What nationality is he or she?

3. Who does he/she work for?

4. Where does he/she work?

5. What’s his or her position in the company?


Part 5: Making a Personal Profile

It’s important to make a profile about yourself so when you meet people for the first time, you can tell them about yourself.

A profile should include the followings:

Name, nationality, home town, company, position in the company, responsibilities, free time interests…

Example:

My name is Adam Smith and I’m British. I live in Hadlow, a lovely English village near London, and I work for the Swire Group, Britain’s largest private company. The Group’s activities are divided into five business areas: shipping, aviation, property, industries and trading. Our best-known company is Cathy Pacific Airways.

I work at the London head office, I’m head of Corporate Finance, and I’m responsible for developing the business of the Group.

I’m always very busy and I don’t have much free time, but when I do, I like fishing and I grow my own vegetables, just for fun.


Activity: Make your own profile…..


Role Play: At the Reception Desk…
Idioms of Lesson 9:

To go back to the drawing board
A calculated risk
Get a break
Go belly up
A hard sell

1 comment:

claudia said...

how can I listen the audio or see the business cards to answer the exercises?