Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lesson 8: Transportation and Emergency Situation

Part 1: Going on Transportation

When travelling, it is important that you are going to the destination that you’re planning to go to; therefore, it is important to choose the suitable transportation …

Going on a Bus:
· Excuse me?
· Which bus goes to _______________________?
· Which bus stops at _________________________?
· Which bus should I take to ________________?
· Is there a bus for _________________________?
· What time is the next bus for __________________?
- It leaves in ____________________.
· Where is the ticket counter?
· How much is it to _____________________________?
- It’s _____________________dollars.
· Could you tell me when to get off, please?
· Can you tell ne when we’re there, please?
· Where am I supposed to change/transfer?
· Where do I change buses?

Going on a Train or Subway:

· What train/subway should I take to
______________________?
· Which train/ subway goes to _______________________?
· Which train/ subway stops at ______________________?
· How long does it take to get from
__________to_____________?
· How much does it cost (from
____________to_______________)?
· What is the fare to _______________?
· What is the ticket counter?
· Is it cheaper by ________________?
· Is it quicker by __________________?
· Which would you recommend?
- I would recommend
__________because_________________.
- I’d like the __________________.
· How often do the trains / subway go?
- There is a train/subway every ______________minutes.
· What track does it leave from?
- The next train leaves from __________________.
· Where am I supposed to change/transfer?
· Where should I change trains/subways?
· At what station should I change?
· What time is the last train/subway to
____________________?
· How many stops are there to _______________________?
· What’s the next stop/station?

Getting a Taxi:

· Where can I get a taxi?
· Where can I catch a taxi?
· Where is the taxi stand/ cab stand?
· Can you get me a taxi, please?
- I want to get a taxi?
- (Where are you going to?)
- (Where would you like to go?)
- I’m going to ______________________.
- Can you pick me up at ____________________?
- To this address please.
- Take me to this address please.
- I’m in a hurry.
- Take the shortest way please.
- Could you wait for me please?
- Stop here, please.
- Could you help me carry my bag?

Other useful phrases:

· Is there a _______________to ____________________.
· How many stop to __________________?
· Is this seat taken?
· Is anyone sitting here?
· Can I sit here?
· Do you mind if I seat here?


Listening Activity: listen and answer the following

1. How much is each ride and how long does the ticket expire after it was issued?

2. What’s the advantage of buying a MetroCard worth more than $10.00?
3. What did Misha buy in end and where is she going to?


Misha: I’d like to buy a token for the subway.

Clerk: The subway doesn’t use tokens anymore.

Misha: Oh? I didn’t know that. It’s been a few years since I visited New York. How do I pay for the fare?

Clerk: You can buy a ticket for a single ride that expires two hours after it’s issued. If you’re going to be here all week, I’d suggest getting a 7-day card that gives you unlimited rides. Otherwise, I’d recommend getting a MetroCard.

Misha: I’m only here for two days. How much is each ride?

Clerk: It’s $2.00. If you buy a MetroCard worth more than $10.00, you get a 20% discount. So with a $10 card, you get six rides instead of five. The card allows you to transfer to buses, too.

Misha: Okay. I’ll take a MetroCard worth $10.00. How is the money deducted from my card?

Clerk: The turnstile automatically deducts the fare each time you go through it. Here’s your card.

Misha: Thanks, but I’m not sure which line to take to Queens.

Clerk: Here’s a subway map. Follow the signs to the platform of the train you want. Misha: Okay, thanks.


Listening Activity (2): listen and answer the following

1. How much is it per ride?

2. Which bus is he waiting for to transfer?

3. Why was the bus late?

I just moved to L.A. and don’t have a car. Everybody says that you can’t get around this city without one, but I wanted to prove them wrong.

I asked my neighbour to take me to the downtown bus station so I could try taking the bus home. She thought I was crazy but gave me a ride.

When I got there, I went inside and got a bus schedule. I looked at the map and figured out that I needed to take three buses to get home. The fare was $1.75 per ride and I could buy a single ticket, a booklet of 20, or a bus pass. I would need transfers, too, to change buses.

I took my map and went outside to wait at the bus stop for the Number 8 bus. Soon it pulled up and I got on. I gave my ticket to the bus driver and took a seat. At the stop where I needed to get off, I rang the bell, the bus stopped, and I got off.

I waited for the next bus. I waited and waited. A man who was also waiting for the Number 14 bus said that it wasn’t unusual for the bus to be delayed. It finally got there and I found out that the bus had broken down along the route and they had to get another bus to take its place.

By this time, I was getting pretty tired. Maybe getting a car in L.A. wasn’t such a bad idea.


Sample Dialogue:

Passenger: Excuse me? What time is the next bus for _________?

Bus driver: This is it. It leaves in ________________.

Passenger: Great. How much is that, please?

Bus driver: That will be __________.

Passenger: Here you are.

Bus driver: Thank You.

Passenger: Could you tell me when to get off, please?

Bus driver:Sure, it’s_____________________.

Passenger: Thank You.


Part 2: Emergency Situation: Medical Emergency

When you run into medical emergency, these phrases may help you…

· Please call a doctor / ambulance (for me)?
· Please take me to the hospital.
· I need first-aid.
· I’d like to see a doctor.
- (What can I do for you?)
- (What seems to be the trouble?)
- (How do you feel?)
· I’m hurt / bleeding.
- My legs hurt/ my arms hurt/ my shoulder hurt, etc.
· I’m ill/ injured.
· I have a fever, earache, headache, cold, migraine, stomachache,
diarrhea, heartburn, sore throat, runny nose, sore eyes, toothache,
flu, cough, nausea, etc.
· I need to vomit.
· I feel hot / cold / dizzy / painful/ terrible/ awful
· I have _________________.
· Heart disease / diabetes / high blood pressure / allergies, etc.
· I’m allergic to _________________.
· Please fill the prescription.
· Could you tell me how to take the medicine?
- Full stomach/ empty stomach
· How often should I take the medicine?
- Once/twice/three times a day
- Before meal/ after meal
· I have traveler’s / medical insurance.
· Does my insurance cover this?


Useful Vocabularies:

Antibiotic, drugstore, pharmacy, over-the-counter drug, non-prescription drug, prescription drug, painkiller, band-aids, pick up, expiration date, expiry date, refill, drowsy, restriction


Listening Activity: listen and answer the followings

1. How long does he have to wait before the medicine is ready?

2. What over-the-counter medicine did he get?

3. What is the instruction for this medicine?

I went to the drugstore down the street to fill a prescription at the pharmacy. I have had some problems with my arm and the doctor prescribed for me a new medication.

I waited in line and when it was my turn, I handed the prescription to the pharmacist. She told me to come back in 15 minutes and she would have it ready for me.

In the meantime, I went to look for some over the counter stomach medication. There was some in tablets and capsules. I decided on the capsules and returned to the pharmacy.

The pharmacist asked me if I had taken this medication before. I told her I hadn’t, and she pointed out the directions on the bottle. It had the dosage information: Take two tablets two times a day. There was also a warning to not take it on an empty stomach. The bottle also said that I should stop taking the medication if I had any serious side effects. The pharmacist told me to follow the directions closely so that I can avoid an overdose. I paid for the medication and thanked her for her help.


Sample Dialogue:

Doctor: Hello, what can I do for you?

Patient: I have a ________________.

Doctor: Mm. When did it start hurting?

Patient: _______________________.

Doctor: I see. How do you feel now?

Patient: I feel _______________. It’s very _________________.

Doctor: OK. I’ll give you a prescription for something to help you. Take it

________________a day.

Patient: Thank you, doctor.


Part 3: Emergency Situation: Dealing with the Police

If you need police during your travelling, you can use these phrases:

· Call the Police!
· Where’s the police station?
· Could you help me / us please?
· Could I please use the telephone?
· I’m lost.
· I’ve been robbed.
· My _____________ was/were stolen.
- Backpack, suitcase, bags, money, papers, passport, wallet, etc.
- Where is the lost and found?
- I lost my _______________________.
- Can I get it reissued? (if passport is missing)
- (Could you fill out this form?)
- (We’ll call you when we find it.)
- We’ll contact you when we find it.)
· My possessions are insured.
· I am a foreigner.
· I’m innocent.
· I wish to contact my embassy / consulate.
· Does anyone here speak _______________?
· Can I call someone?
· I want a lawyer who speaks Japanese.
· Can I pay an on-the-spot fine?
· I understand; I don’t understand
· What am I accused of?
· I know my rights.
· What do I need to do?

Extras:

· Help!
· Stop!
· Thief!
· Fire!
· Watch Out!
· It’s an emergency.
· Call a doctor!
· Call an ambulance!
· Call the police!


Part 4: Directions

When asking for directions, you can say the followings:

· Excuse me? Do you know where the ___________is?
· How do I get to _________________?
· Is _____________________close to here?


Vocabulary:

· Take the ___________ left/right
· It’s next to ___________________.
· It’s on ______________________.
· It’s across from ___________________.
· Go straight along __________________.
· Go pass ________________ and turn left/right.
· It’s between __________________and _______________.
· It’s on the corner of _____________and _______________.


Role Play:

Transportation

Seeing a doctor


Idioms of lesson 8:

Wrap up

(To) get (something) straight

No hard feelings

Get a handle on

Mess up

No comments: