Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lesson 13: Telephone Conversation Continue

Part 1: Recording a voice mail message on your machine

Sometimes when you are not available to take a call, you can leave a voice mail message in your voice mail or in your answering machine to notify the callers that you cannot take their calls at the moment and ask them to leave a message instead.

· Hello, you’ve reached ________________ at
________________ company. I’m sorry I’m not available to
take your call. Please leave a message and I’ll call you back as soon
as I can. Thank you.

· Hello. You've reached________________. Please leave a
detailed message after the beep. Thank you.

· Hi, this is _______________. I'm sorry I'm not available to take
your call at this time. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as
soon as I can.

· Thank you for calling ____________________office. Our
hours are 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Please call back during these
hours, or leave a message after the tone. If this is an emergency
please call the ___________ at ___________.


If you are on vacation or business trip:

· Hello, this is ____________at the ____________company. I
will be on vacation (business trip) from Friday, May 12 through
Monday, May 22. Please leave a message, and I’ll call you back when
I return. Thank you.


Sample Dialogue:

Your task is to record a voice message on the answering machine for your department of the company. Have your name, phone number, time, date, etc. be ready.










Part 2: Reschedule an appointment

When some things come up unexpectedly from time to time, we might have to cancel or reschedule an appointment or a meeting with someone. The tip is if you must reschedule or cancel an appointment, be sure to do so as soon as you know of the change in your schedule.

Listening Activity: Listen and answer the following:

1. What is the date and time of the appointment between Peter and Mr.
Hibberd?


Michelle: Mr Hibberd’s office!

Peter: Hello, can I speak to Brian Hibberd, please?

Michelle: I’m afraid he’s in a meeting until lunchtime. Can I take a
message?

Peter: Well, I’d like to arrange an appointment to see him, please. It’s
Peter Jefferson here.

Michelle: Could you hold on for a minute, Mr Jefferson. I’ll just look in
the diary. So when’s convenient for you?

Peter: Some time next week if possible. I gather he’s away the following
week.

Michelle: Yes, that’s right, he’s on holiday for a fortnight.

Peter: Well, I need to see him before he goes away. So would next
Wednesday be okay?

Michelle: Wednesday . let me see . he's out of the office all morning. But
he's free in the afternoon, after about three.

Peter: Three o'clock is difficult. But I could make it after four.

Michelle: So shall we say 4.15 next Wednesday, in Mr Hibberd's office?

Peter: Yes, that sounds fine. Thanks very much.

Michelle: Okay, then. Bye.


Asking to reschedule an appointment or meeting:

· Do you mind if we put it off to another date?
· Let's see if we can find another day when we could get together.
· Could we push it back?
· Could we push it back slightly?
· Could we push it back _______________hour?
· Could we push it back to ___________o’clock?
· Could we push back the meeting to_____________?
· Let's push it back ___________________ .
· Can we postpone our appointment (my appointment with
_______________)?
· Could we postpone till ____________________?
· Could we move it up?
· Could we move up the meeting a few days?
· Could we move it up slightly?
· Could we move it up _____________hour?
· Could we move it up to ___________ o'clock?
· Could you take me at ______________?
· Could you write me in at _____________?
· Can I reschedule for ____________________?


Explaining circumstances:

· I have a conflict in my schedule.
· I'm running ahead of schedule.
· I'm running behind schedule.
· Something's come up.
· My schedule has changed.
· I've had a change in my schedule.
· I'm going to be out of town.
· _____________ is a bad day for me. Do you havean opening on
________________?
· I completely forgot. I have a ______________ that night.
· I'll have to work on the _________________.
· I have to fill in at work.


Listening Activity: Listen and answer the followings:

1. What is the original date of the meeting?
2. What date would Juliette prefer the meeting to be on?
3. How come David cannot make it to the meeting on Tuesday?
4. What is the final decision of the date and time of the meeting?

Juliette: Good morning, David. This is Juliette. Something’s come up,
and I can’t make it on Monday afternoon. I need to cancel
my appointment with you. Can I reschedule for Tuesday
morning?

David: I’m afraid Tuesday is a bad day for me. I have meetings all
day.

Juliette: Oh dear! What about Wednesday?

David: Hmm. I’m completely booked up on Wednesday too. I
have a meeting on Thursday morning at 9am. But I could
change that to Friday. I have another meeting at 10am, but
I can push it back to 10:30. That would give us an hour and
a half. Could you get here for 9 o’clock?

Juliette: Of course. 9 o’clock on Thursday is fine. But if you have any
cancellation for Tuesday, could you give me a call?

David: Yes, of course.

Juliette: Thanks, speak to you soon.


Sample Dialogue:

You are supposed to have a meeting with Ms. Peterson on Tuesday at 11. However, something’s come up and you cannot make it on Tuesday. You want to push back the meeting on Wednesday; however, Ms. Peterson cannot make it on Wednesday. In the end the meeting is scheduled on Thursday at 11.

Caller:




Ms. Peterson: Hmm. I’m afraid I cannot make it on Wednesday because I will be out of town on business. How about Thursday?

Caller:




Ms. Peterson: O.K. So that will be Thursday at 11, am I correct?

Caller:





Ms. Peterson: So, see you on Thursday, then Bye.



Part 3: Bringing a telephone conversation to an end

· It's been a pleasure talking to you. Bye now.
· Thank you for calling. Good-bye.
· Can we continue this later? I have a call on another line.
· Could we continue this later? I have a meeting right now.
· Excuse me, can I call you back? Something urgent has come up.
· Excuse me, I'm in the middle of something. Can I call you back?


Part 4: Dial a wrong number

Listening Activity:

Male: Hello, this is the press office.

Michelle: Rachel Allsop please.

Male: I’m sorry, You must have the wrong number. There’s no-one of that
name here.

Michelle: Oh. Can I check the number I’ve got…. is that not 5568790?

Male: No, it’s 5558790.

Michelle: Oh sorry about that. I must have dialled the wrong number.

Male: No problem! Bye!

---------------------------------------------------

Male: Hello, press office, can I help you?

Ruth: Hello. Paul Richards, please.

Male: I’m sorry, you’ve got the wrong number, but he does work here. I’ll
try and put you through. In future his direct number is 5558770.

Ruth: Did I not dial that?

Male: No you rang 5558790.

Ruth: Oh, sorry to have troubled you.

Male: No problem. Hang on a moment and I’ll put you through to Paul’s
extension.

Ruth: Thanks.


Sometimes when we dial a wrong number mistakenly, we can say the followings:

· I'm sorry, you've got the wrong number.
· There is no one by that name here.
· I think you've dialed the wrong number.
· You've got the wrong number.
· Sorry, wrong number. (informal)


Caller- Apologizing after Dialing a Wrong Number :

· I'm so sorry.
· Sorry for disturbing you.
· Excuse me.


Part 5: Writing Business Letters-thank you letter

A thank you letter should be:

· Begin with a thank you
· Refer specifically what the reader has done for you
· Mention about your appreciation to reader’s contribution
· Concludes with a thank you message again


Sample letter:

Mom’s Magic
1121 Elm Avenue
Joplin, MO 64804

June 18, 2006

Tom Atkinson
Atkinson's Technology
14 Edith Street,
Hackney West,
V69 875

Dear Mr. Atkinson,

We are writing to express our appreciation for your order of ten Magnaflux compressors. We are in the process of filling and shipping your order, which is expected to arrive at your premises on Friday.

We look forward to doing future business with you, and we will jump at every chance to make your experience with us enjoyable. Please feel free to call me at 615-7893 if I may serve you in any way.


Sincerely,

Signature
Tony Montana

Sales Manager



Role Play: Recording a voice mail message
Making an appointment
Rescheduling an appointment


Idioms of lesson 13:

Mean business
Jack up
On the block
Run short

1 comment:

Ran Boy said...

Why didn't you provide the audio?
I have another one here similar like yours business English telephone conversation>