Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lesson 6: Dining in a Restaurant

Part 1: Making Reservation

It is better to reserve a table prior going to a restaurant so you don’t have to wait in the long line…..especially in good restaurants. Also, if you’re new to a place, you can find out some of the good restaurants in that area by asking people who are living there…..

· Could you recommend a good restaurant near here?
· Which restaurant do you recommend?
· I would like some _________________.
· Is there a ______________restaurant around here?
· Where is the closest _____________restaurant?
· Do I need a reservation?

Reserving a Table in a Restaurant:

Once you find the restaurant that you want to go, you can make reservation by calling the restaurant…..

· (Hello, this is ____________restaurant. May I help you?)
· I would like to reserve a table for _____________.
· I would like to reserve a table at ____________.
· (What time do you want the table?)
- At ____________.
- (I’ll check it for you…)
- OK, so that will be ________________
- Sorry, all the tables are booked tonight/ at _________.
- Sorry, we are quite full tonight.
· (How many in your group?/ How many in your party?)
· (Can I have the name on the reservation?)
· (May I have your phone number, please?)

Sometime you can say:

· I would like to make a reservation for ________at________.

If you have requested:

· Could we get a table ___________________. (in the corner/by the window/in the non-smoking area)

Other questions you might want to ask when making a reservation:

· How late are you open?
- Until ____________.
· How do I get there?
· Do you accept/ take credit cards?
· What is the price of a dinner/ lunch course?
· Do you have a breakfast / lunch / dinner special?
· What do I get for the __________special?
· Do you have a set menu?
· Do you have a dress code?
· What is your dress code?
· Do ________have to wear__________?
· How long do we have to wait?
· What’s the parking situation at the restaurant?/ Where do I park my car?

If you want to cancel a reservation:

· I’m sorry, I want to cancel my reservation.
· I call to cancel my reservation.


Listening Activity: Listen and answer the following questions?

1. What’s the reservation’s date and time?
2. What’s the name on the reservation?
3. What’s Randy’s request when he makes the reservation?


Hostess: Thank you for calling Sakia Restaurant. How may I help you?

Randy: I’d like to make a reservation.

Hostess: For which day and for what time?

Randy: It’s for Friday, the 24th, at 7 o’clock.

Hostess: How many will be in the party?

Randy: There will be seven of us.

Hostess: And the name on the reservation?

Randy: Johnson.

Hostess: And a phone number where we can reach you?

Randy: 310-555-9023.

Hostess: Okay. Let me repeat back to you the information I have. This is a reservation for the Friday after next for seven at 7 p.m. Is that correct?

Randy: Yes, that’s right. Can we have a table by the window in a non-smoking section? I want to be away from the kitchen, if possible.

Hostess: Our restaurant is all non-smoking. We can’t guarantee a window table, but I’ll note your preference.

Randy: Okay, that’s fine. What’s the parking situation at the restaurant?

Hostess: We have a parking lot behind the restaurant, and we also have valet parking. Do any of the guests have special needs?

Randy: I’m glad you asked. I’ll need two high chairs and four booster seats.

Hostess: I’m sorry, but did you say two high chairs and four booster seats?

Randy: Yes, I did. I’m taking all of my nieces and nephews out to dinner.

Hostess: That sounds nice. It should be lively evening.

Randy: You’re telling me!

Sample Dialogue:

Hostess: Hello, ________________.

Guest: I would like to reserve a table on _____________________.

Hostess: At what time?

Guest: __________________.

Hostess: For how many?

Guest: _________________. Oh, Can I get a table _______________________.

Hostess: Sure, can I have your name please?

Guest: It’s ______________________.

Hostess: May I have your phone number please?

Guest: Sure, it’s __________________.


Part 2: When you’re Seated….Ready to Order…….
  • (Do you want anything to drink?/ What can I get you a drink?)
  • Yes, I would like to have ____________________.
  • Could I have the menu please?/ May I see the menu please?
  • Do you have menu in ______________?/ Do you have a ___________menu?
  • May I see the wine list?
  • What do you recommend?/ What is your suggestions?
  • Do you have any local specialities?
  • I would like to order.
  • (Are you ready to order?/ May I take your order?)
  • No, can you come back a little later/ in a few minutes.
  • Yes, I would like to have _______________________.
  • Yes, I would like to start with _________ then I will have ____________next, etc.
  • Can I have the same as that?
  • I would like this one.
  • I will take this and this.
  • (How would you like __________?) Steak: rare, medium rare, medium, and well done. Coffee: with cream and sugar.
  • That’s it for now.
  • I will order more/ dessert later.
  • Can we have separate checks/ bills please?

Listening Activity (1): Listen and answer the following questions:

1. How many people are in her party?
2. What’s his favourite appetizer?

Well, I love going out to restaurants to eat. One of the best experiences I've had recently was at a place here in Los Angeles called Il Fornaio. It's an Italian restaurant in a very nice part of Beverly Hills. I don't go there very often--I can't really afford it, but every once in a while I'll treat myself.

The last time I went, I walked in with a friend and I was greeted by the hostess. She asked how many people were in my party, and I said, "Just two." "Right this way! I'll show you to your table" she said. She was very polite. When we reached our table by the window, she asked us, "Is this all right?" We said, "Of course!," and then she handed us the menus, along with the wine list.

The place setting with the silverware was very complete. There were two forks (one for the salad course, one for the main course), a spoon, a knife, a dinner plate, a dessert spoon on top, a wine glass and a water glass, a cup and saucer for coffee, and a bread basket. I was already getting hungry! "Your waiter will be with you shortly," the hostess said.

So we looked over the menus‚ there are so many choices, especially for a lover of Italian food like me. The waiter came up to the table a few minutes later and said, "Good evening. My name is Giorgio, and I'll be your waiter this evening. Is there anything I can get you started with -a cocktail, a glass of wine?" Well, my friend and I are not exactly big drinkers, so we just ordered a couple of iced teas. "Would you like a few minutes to look at the menu?" he said. We nodded our heads, and he went off to get our drinks.

As I was looking at the appetizers, I spotted one of my favourite dishes-crab cakes! I told my friend that the crab cakes were a must. Just then the waiter returned to our table, with our drinks on a large tray. I was ready to order.

Listening Activity (2): Listen and answer the following questions:

1. What did he and his friend order?
2. What did he order for dessert?
3. Did they separate the bill?

I love coming to this Italian restaurant. The appetizers and desserts are to die for. When the waiter came to our table to take our order, my friend ordered a lobster ravioli dish, and I asked for my favourite, lasagna. The waiter then asked us, "Would you like a soup or salad with that?" My friend said yes; I passed on both.

The vibe in the restaurant is pretty laid back, not at all uptight like you find in some of the ritzier restaurants in Beverly Hills. The wait staff is courteous, although sometimes the hostesses can be a bit snooty .Anyway, when our meals arrived, everything was cooked to perfection.

Since I didn't order any appetizers, soup, or salad, I was starved. Even though I was really hungry, I tried not to gobble down my food too quickly. I didn't want my friend to think I was a pig! But even though I tried not to, I still overate. When the waiter asked if we wanted any dessert or after dinner drinks, I just couldn't resist getting the apple-filled crepes. They are the best.

When we got our check, my friend and I split the bill, as we're accustomed to do. I frankly prefer to go Dutch when I eat out with friends. So that was the end of a really great meal. Now I have to hit the gym if I'm going to lose any of this extra weight I gained from eating that lasagna!

Sample Dialogue:


After you’re seated……


Waitress: Would you like to get something to drink?

Guest: I would like to have ________________.

Waitress: Here is the menu. The chef special for today is ________________.

Guest: Thanks, I will look at the menu.

Moments later:

Waitress: Are you ready to order?

Guest: Yes, I would like to have ________________________.

Waitress: Would you like a soup and a salad to go with that?

Guest: I would like a soup. What’s do you have?

Waitress: Today, we have _________________________.

Guest: Then, I would have a ____________________.

Waitress: Sure, anything else?

Guest: No, that’s it for now.

Part 3: Host vs. Guest


If you treat someone to a dinner or if you’re going with your friends (friends from other countries) or if you are going to another country, you might want to ask some questions regarding that country’s cuisine:

  • Have you tried _____________?
  • Yes, I have.
  • No, I haven’t.
  • Would you like to try this?
  • Yes, I would.
  • No, thank you.
  • What is this called?
  • It’s called ______________.
  • What are __________________?
  • They are _______________.
  • What does it/ do they taste like?
  • It’s quite _____________.
  • They are ___________________.
  • How do you eat this?
  • You eat it with _______________.
  • You dip it in ______________________.
  • What’s this dish made of?
  • It’s made of _____________________.

Other useful phrases:

  • I’m _______________. ((extremely)hungry, starving, thirsty, on a diet)
  • It’s smell good/ nice/ bad.
  • It’s great/ delicious.
  • This looks great/ delicious.
  • Can I eat this?/ Is this edible?
  • Does it taste good?
  • This taste ____________. (Strange, weird, good, great, delicious, bad)
  • My mouth is burning.
  • Can you pass me the _________________./ Could I have _____________, please.
  • May I have some more / another ______________please?
  • I would like some more ____________________.
  • I dropped my ___________________.
  • I’m (very) full/ I have had enough.
  • My order hasn’t come yet.
  • I didn't order this.

Part 4: Eating at a Fast Food Restaurant

  • (May I take your order?)
  • I would like to have __________________________.
  • May I have _______________________(with/ without ______________,please).
  • (Anything else?)
  • (Will that be for her or to go?/ For here or to go?)
  • For here, please.
  • To go, please.
  • (That comes to ______________./ The total is __________________.)

Sample Dialogue:


Cashier: May I help you?


Guest: Yes, May I have ___________________________.

Cashier: What kind of drink do you want?

Guest: I’d like _________________,please.

Cashier: Anything else?

Guest: No

Cashier: For here or to go?

Guest: For here.

Cashier: OK, that comes to _________________.

Part 5: Check, Please?

  • I would like the check, please?
  • Bill/ Check, please?
  • Where do I pay?
  • Do you take credit cards?/ Which credit cards do you take?
  • Are tax and service charge included?
  • It’s on me/ This is my treat/ I will treat you/ I will pay for it/ I will take care of it.
  • What’s this for?/ What’s this amount for?/ What’s this charge for?
  • I’m afraid there is a mistake here/ I don’t think the bill is right.
  • Let’s split the bill/ let’s divide the cost.
  • We will like to pay separately.
  • May I have the receipt please?

Part 6: Dining Vocabularies

  • Menu, wine list, dessert cart
  • Appetizer / starter/ finger food/ hors dóeuvres
  • Main Course/ Entree
  • Dessert
  • Appetizing/ unappetizing
  • Spicy, sweet, tangy, salty, bitter, smooth, rich, light, mild crisp, crunchy, juicy, greasy, slimy, tender, tough, soggy, hard, tasty, filling

Role Play:

Making Reservation
Ordering in a restaurant
Ordering in a fast food restaurant

Part 7: Idioms for lesson 6

Out of this world
Eat like horse/ pig/ bird
Crash course
Mixed feelings

No comments: