Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lesson 2: Small Talk

Part 1: Starting a conversation

When meeting someone for the first time or seeing your friends, it is important to start with a small talk. A small talk is a small conversation that will help to keep or to move on to a bigger and deeper conversation.

Therefore, sometimes it is good to start off with weather…
  • Beautiful weather, isn’t it? / Nice weather isn’t it?
  • It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?
    - Yes, it is / It sure is
  • Terrible day, isn’t it? / What a terrible day?
  • Cold / hot isn’t it?
    - Yeah, I hope it would get warmer / cooler soon.
  • It looks like it is going to rain / snow.
  • It looks like it is going to be sunny / cloudy / foggy / windy.
Then, we can move on to greetings and then to deeper conversation…..

Part 2: Expressing Likes and Dislikes

When meeting someone for the first time, you might want to know about someone’s likes and dislike or self preference, such as favourite sports, hobbies, food, movies, etc.

Expressing Likes:

  • I (really) like / love ____________________ (a lot).
  • I (would) prefer _________(to)_____________.
  • _____________________is/ are my favourite(s).
  • I’ve developed a great liking (in/for/at) ________________________.
  • I came to like __________________________.

Expressing Dislikes:

  • I (really) don’t like / can’t stand ________________.
  • I don’t care (much) for ________________________.
  • I (really) hate ________________________.

Expressing no Preference:

  • It’s OK / I can take it / I can stand it / I don’t mind / so-so

Activity: Answer the following questions.

What is your favourite food and why?

What food do you really hate eating?

What is your favourite movie and why?

Who are your favourite actors / actresses?

What are your favourite sports?


Part 3: Giving Compliments

Sometimes in a conversation, we like to give compliments to the person that we are speaking with. Compliments mean to say something nice about someone or something.

Listening Exercise: Underline the compliments while listening to the dialogue

A friend from work, Nia, asked a few of us over to her apartment to watch the game this Sunday and I was really nervous. I’ve always liked Nia and I was hoping we could be more than friends. My brother, Charlie, said that if I really liked her, I should be sure to give her plenty of compliments when I saw her.

I arrived on Sunday and knocked on her door.

Nia: Hi, I’m glad you could make it. You’re the first one here. Make yourself comfortable.

Sebastian: Thanks and you look great. Red looks great on you.

Nia: Oh, thanks. It’s nice to be out of work clothes. Can I get you something to drink?

Sebastian: Sure. What are you having?

Nia: I’m just having a beer. Want one?

Sebastian: Sure. What a cool place! This is a really nice apartment .

Nia: Here you go. Actually, I just moved in last month and I’m still decorating. But, that’s nice of you to say.

Sebastian: Wow, nice picture. Did you paint this?

Nia: No, I didn’t. Someone named Picasso did. It’s just a copy. You know, I really appreciate the compliments, but what’s up?

Sebastian: Up? Nothing. I’m just glad to be here.

Nia: Well, I’m glad you’re here, too. Now, drink up. The others should be here any minute.

Sebastian: Sure. Cheers!

Giving compliments about someone or something can improve your relationship with that person; in addition, it will give that person a good impression. If you receive a compliment, you may want to return by also giving a compliment.

Nice words that we can use: nice, beautiful, cool, good, great, etc.

  • You look nice in ____________________.
  • ___________________looks good on you.
  • Nice __________________.
  • This is a beautiful _________________________.
  • Thank you, that’s very kind.
  • Thank you, that’s very kind/ nice/ sweet of you (to say so)
  • You look nice too

Sometime, if you receive compliments about your work, which is a group effort, you may say…

  • Thanks, __________work on it too.
  • It wasn’t all my work. ______________gave me a lot of help.

Idioms of Lesson 2:
Java
A cup of Joe
Brew
Bread
Couch potato
Small potato

No comments: