Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lesson 1: Greetings and Introductions

Part 1: Basic Greetings

· Hello / Hi
· How are you? / How’s it going? / How are you doing? / How do you

do?
- Fine, thank you / Pretty good
- Not so good / Not so great
- Nothing much / Nothing special
· Glad to meet you / Nice to meet you / Great meeting you / Pleased to

meet you

Sometimes, we may also say…..

· How’s everything? / How’s everything going?
- It’s going pretty well / Everything has gone well
- Same as always / Same as usual
- Not bad / So-so

In workplace settings:

· How’s business?
· How are things?
· How was your day?
· How was work today?
· How did it go today?


Part 2: Long Time No See

· Long time no see / It’s been a long time / I haven’t seen you for a long

time / I haven’t seen you for ages
· How have you been doing? / What have you been doing?
- I’ve been alright / Nothing much
· Glad to see you again / Great seeing you again

Part 3: Making a Self Introduction

Model: Business Setting

Hi, may I introduce myself. My name is _________________. (You can call me _____________________). I am the ______________in ___________________ at ___________________.
I’ve been working in this department for __________years. My job is to _________________________________________________________.


- When you introduce somebody to another person, remember
to change the pronouns or try to use the following phrases:

This is my friend ________________.

Can I introduce you to _________________________?


Model: Casual Setting

Hi, I’m ______________. I’m ________years old. I was born in _________ on _________________________. I’m ____________________.We live in _________________. In my spare time, I like to _______________________________.



Part 4: Saying Thanks and Good Bye

· Goodbye. Thank you for everything.
- Not at all. We’re glad you’re here.
· Please say goodbye to _______for me.
· Please say hello to _________for me.
· I’ll miss you.
· I hope to see you again sometime.
· This is for you. It’s from _____________.
- Oh, how kind! You shouldn’t have!
· Let’s keep in touch.
· Here is my contact information.


Bonus:

If there is anything that you don’t understand in class, please don’t hesitate to ask.

You can say:

· I’m sorry. I don’t understand.
· Could you speak more slowly?
· Can you repeat that?
· I beg your pardon.
· What does this / it mean?
· Can you write it down please?




No comments: