Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lesson 5: At the Hotel

Usually prior to your trip, it is best to make a room reservation in the hotel that you want to stay in because depending on the seasons, sometimes, the rooms in the hotel may all be full.

Part 1: Making Hotel Reservation


· Do you have any vacancies/ rooms for ____________?
- (Yes, we do)
- (No, we don’t)
- (I’ll check for you)
· (Would you like a single room or a double room?)
- I would like _______________please.
· (For how many nights?)
- For _____________________.
· How much is the room?
- (It’s _____________ per night.)
· (May I have your name please?)
- It’s _________________.
· (Could you spell that please?)
- Yes, it’s _________________.
· (What time will you arrive?)
- Around _______________.

Sample Dialogue:

Clerk: Good morning, __________hotel. Can I help you?

Guest: Yes, please. Do you have any vacancies for _________, please?

Clerk: Yes, we do. Would you like a single or a double?

Guest: A _________please.


Clerk: And for how many nights?

Guest: For _____________please.

Clerk: Fine.

Guest: How much is it?

Clerk: It’s __________per night.

Guest: That’s fine.

Clerk: May I have your name please?

Guest: Yes, it’s ____________________.

Clerk: Could you spell that please?

Guest: Yes, it’s __________.

Clerk: Thank You. And can I have your phone number, please?

Guest: Oh sure, it’s _____________________.

Listening Activities: Listen and answer the following questions:

1. What date did Jeff want to check-in?

2. What’s Jeff’s last name?

3. Which credit card did Jeff use to guarantee the reservation?


I just finished a huge project at work and I needed some down time. I decided to take a short vacation. I liked the idea of a long weekend out of town.


My friend Sara offered to let me crash at her place in San Francisco, but I decided to stay at a hotel instead. Sara has a couple of roommates and I thought it might be too crowded.

I called the toll-free reservation number for a major hotel chain. The reservation agent was very helpful, after I got through the long phone tree.

Agent: Dutton Hotels. How may I help you today?

Jeff: I wanted to check rates and availability for your San Francisco location.

Agent: Certainly, I can help you with that. Will that be the downtown or waterfront location?

Jeff: The waterfront location.

Agent: What date do you plan to check in?

Jeff: I'd like to check in on October 12th and check out the 15th.

Agent: Okay, let me see what we have. For how many?

Jeff: One. And, if possible, I'm looking for a non-smoking room.

Agent: Sure, we have a non-smoking queen with an ocean view for $189 or a standard room with a courtyard view for $139 a night.

Jeff: I'd like to book the standard room.

Agent: Okay, your last name?

Jeff: Rama.

Agent: Could you spell that please?

Jeff: Sure, it's R-A-M-A.

Agent: And, your first name?

Jeff: It's Jeff.

Agent: Okay, I have you booked in a standard non-smoking queen, checking in on October 12th and departing the 15th. What major credit card would you like to use to guarantee the reservation?

Jeff: A Visa.

Agent: The number and expiration?

Jeff: It's 7388-2424-3535-1818 and the expiration is 05/08.

Agent: Your confirmation number is PD672. Is there anything else I help you with?

Jeff: No, that's all. Thanks.

Agent: Have a nice day and thanks you for calling Dutton Hotels.


Part 2: Checking-In the Hotel

So after you got off the plane, you want to check-in at the hotel. Be sure to have your reservation documents or information ready.

With Reservation:

· Hello, I’m checking in. I have a reservation.
· My name is _____________________.
· Here is my confirmation/ here is my reservation document.
- (Yes, _____________ you have reserve a

_____________________________________.
- (Please sign here and I will get you the keys?)
- (How many keys do you need?)
· (So, you’re all set. Your room is _________. Do you need help with your bags?)
- Yes, please.
- No, I’m fine. Thank You.
· Enjoy your stay.

Without Reservation:

· Hello, I would like a room please?
- (Would you like a single or a double?)
- ___________________please.
· (May I have your name please?)
- It’s ____________________.
· (Could you spell that please?)
- It’s ____________________.
· (Could you fill in the form, please?)
- Yes / certainly
· (How many are in your party?)
- _________________.
· (How many nights would you like to stay?)
- ____________________.
· (How will you be paying?)
- Is __________ OK? (Visa, Master card, cash, etc.)
- I will be paying by _________________.
· (Would you like a wakeup call?)
- Yes, I would a wakeup call at __________.
- No, thank you.
· (Here’s your key. That’s room _________ on the ____________floor.


Questions that you might want to ask during the check in:

· What time is check out?
· Do you accept visa/ MasterCard?
· Is there a _____________? (computer room, business room, pool, restaurant, game room, fitness room, etc.)
· Where is the __________________located?
· Do you have room service?


Part 3: Room Service

Sometimes during our stay in a hotel, we like room service for convenience…

· Hello, is this reception?
- (Yes, how may I help you?)
· This is _____________ from room _________.I would like to speak to _______________please.
- (Sure, I will put you through the line.)
- (I’m afraid he’s not here at the moment.)
· I want to ________________________. (send a fax, order food or drink, laundry service, housekeeping, reserve a table in a restaurant, etc.)
· How long will it take?
- (It will take ________________.)
· I would __________________ in my room. (an extra blanket, pillow, etc.)
- (Certainly sir/ madam. We’ll bring it to you as soon as possible.)
· There is a problem with _____________. (the shower, the mini bar, the light, etc.)
· The ___________in my room is broken.
- (I’ll send someone from the maintenance right away.)
- (We’ll fix it as soon as possible.)

Sample Dialogue:

Clerk: Hello, this is the reception/ room service/ restaurant/ housekeeping how may I help you?

Guest: This is ______________ from room _________. I would like to order _____________.

Clerk: Certainly.

Guest: Oh, and I need to leave a message to ____________. Can you put me through to the operator/ front desk, please?

Clerk: Sure, I am connecting you now.

Listening Activity: Listen to the dialogue and answer the following questions:

1. What things did Jeff order?

2. How long will Jeff’s order takes?

3. What’s the service charge for room service?

I was staying at a nice resort hotel in Arizona on a short vacation. I had been out on the golf course playing a round of golf. When I got back into the room, I was feeling pretty hungry.


I was meeting some friends for a late dinner around 8:30. I wanted a snack . I took a look at the room service menu and called their number.

Woman: Room service. What would you like to order?

Jeff: Hi, I'm in room 1201 and I'd like an order of the calamari and a slice of cheesecake.

Woman: Do you want the calamari appetizer or the entree?

Jeff: I'd like the appetizer.

Woman: Anything to drink?

Jeff: A diet Coke. About how long will that take?

Woman: It'll be about 30 minutes.

Jeff: Okay. Thanks.

There was a knock on my door about a half hour later.

Jeff: Who is it?

Woman: Room service...Hi, where would you like me to put the tray?

Jeff: On the desk would be fine.

Woman: The total is $16.75.

Jeff: Oh, that's higher than I'd expected.

Woman: There's a 12% service charge for room service and there's also the usual food tax.

Jeff: Oh, I see. Can I charge it to the room?

Woman: Sure. Just fill in the total here, write in your room number, and sign at the bottom.

Jeff: Okay, there you go. Thanks.

Woman: Thank you and have a nice day.The calamari and the cheesecake really hit the spot.


Part 4: Checking Out

Sometime it is better to notify the front desk the day before you’re checking out.

· I will to notify you that I will be checking out at _________tomorrow.
· Please have my bill ready by then.
· I would like to check out now please. I’m _____________in room _______________.
- (Certainly sir/ madam.)
- (Are you paying by credit card?)
- Yes, I paying by _________________.
- I don’t have much time. Can you hurry please?
· Would you send someone to send my luggage down?
· I would like to ask about the bill please.
· Does this include service charge and tax?
· What does this figure mean?
· What is this amount for?
- (That’s for ___________________.)
- (That’s your __________________bill).
· Excuse me, I think there is mistake here.
· There’s something wrong with my bill.
· There seems to be an error in my bill.
- (I’m very sorry. May I see?)
- (Perhaps I can help.)
· Can you keep my luggage until ________________.
· Could you get me a taxi?
- Yes, certainly.

Sample Dialogue:

Guest: I would like to check out please.

Clerk: Certainly, here is your print-out.

Guest: I would like to check my bill please.

Clerk: Of course, sir/ madam.

Guest: What is this figure for?

Clerk: That’s your __________________ sir/ madam. The symbols are explained on the other side of the bill.

Guest: Oh, I see. But I think there’s an error. You haven’t charged me for __________________.

Clerk: Oh, thank you. I’m sorry about that.


Part 5: Unexpected Situations

Sometimes unexpected situations may come up during your stay in the hotel, such as losing something…..such as suitcase, bag, camera, jacket, watch, etc.

· Excuse me, my __________is missing.
· Excuse me, I think I left _________________here.
· Excuse me, I have lost my ___________________.

Questions that the clerk may ask you:

· Where did you lose it?
· When did you last see it?
· What does it look like?
· How big is it?
· What color is it?
· What’s it made of?
· Was there anything inside it?

Sample dialogue:

Clerk: Can I help you?

Guest: Yes, please. My _________________is missing.

Clerk: I see. Where did you lose it?

Guest: At the ___________________.

Clerk: OK. When did you last see it?

Guest: _______________________.

Clerk: What does it look like?

Guest: It’s ____________________.

Clerk: I see. Any other details?

Guest: Yes. ___________________.

Clerk: OK. I will check if it’s here in lost and found.

Role Play:

Making a Reservation
Room Service
Checking Out
Unexpected Situation

Idioms for lesson 5:

Hang in there
Last resort
Easier said than done
Look on the bright side
Think big

No comments: